Banana bread is something that I make my family at least once a week. It’s a great way to use up over ripe bananas. The more over ripe the better! The blacker the banana skin, the more flavorful the bananas and the more color the cake will have too.
- 1 cup of self rising flour (if you don’t have S.R.flour, use All purpose plus 1 tsp baking powder)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar (you can use brown sugar too)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil or one stick of melted butter (oil makes a more moist cake)
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large bananas (over ripe and mashed to a liquid consistency)
- Half cup of raisins or chopped almonds (if you prefer)
PREPARE THE TIN
I always put about tsp of oil in the loaf pan and then wipe it all around the pan with a paper towel to grease it so the cake comes out easy.
Sift flour in bowl. This is not a necessity but it can make a more airy cake. If you are using All purpose flour instead of self rising then add the tsp of baking powder now. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, pinch of salt, raisins and sugar and stir to combine. Now add the wet ingredients, the oil (or butter), bananas, vanilla essence and eggs and lightly whisk until combined.
Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.